Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Oklahoma in pictures (going back a week or so)

How one eats in Oklahoma. I can't imagine why there's an obesity problem:


Chili, covered in chili, covered in cheese, covered in chili. Oh, and a couple of fries underneath. God bless America.



Ron's Hamburgers (& Chili): the gooey-ist, yummiest burger in all the land.


You can order pretty much anything on the menu 'spanish style,' which means fried onions and jalapenos. I thought when I ordered my cheeseburger spanish style, these items would come ON the burger, but the waitress decided that it was cheaper just to deliver it as a SIDE. Like anybody's going to dive in with a fork to a side of onions and jalapenos. But then again...


I unfortunately did not have the pleasure of having Pappy's chicken fried steak special, but boo howdy!


I know you were up all night wondering what Cherokee Gothic was, so I'm here to reveal the answer: it's a style of architecture! Welcome to OU.



At this point in the afternoon, I did not have an OU shirt on. And on a game day, that caused  me to stick out like a sore thumb.  I was reprimanded pretty quickly for calling the school color 'maroon,' which was apparently like spitting in a fan's face. It's CRIMSON, PEOPLE. CRIMSON AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT. LIKE THE COLOR OF THE BLOOD WE'RE GOING TO SPILL ON THE FIELD TODAY. BECAUSE WE'RE SOONERS.


This may LOOK like Chicago-style pizza, but you'd be wrong: the crust is actually really light and puffy. And it was DELISH. Thank you, Louie's. I owe you my hips.


Yes. Football is a way of life; a religion; a fanatical cult. And in Oklahoma, you pretty much worship at the Sooner throne.














Cherokee Gothic by night. With what appears to be a large spaceship in the background. If that's not the clashing of two cultures, I don't know what is.

8 comments:

  1. And that folks, is Oklahoma in a NUTshell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA, maroon! Classic. In my state, people get annoyed with the newscasters for pronouncing Clemson "Clemzon" instead of the local tendency "Clempson". Oh and the Gamecocks (that's right) color is GARNET, so also not maroon, but definitely not crimson either. This from guys who most assuredly couldn't tell the difference between navy and periwinkle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. spaceship looking thingy is a water tower... usually deorated with school colors... well it is here in South Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alissa - the Big SisNovember 5, 2009 at 8:39 AM

    Those are the most awesome pictures of the Sooner Nation in full swing! Great job, sissy! Oh and the end to that fight song is Rah Oklahoma Rah Oklahoma Rah Oklahomaaaaaa OKU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG. You're driving my pregnancy cravings wild. Need some chili cheese fries and pickles STAT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They drove my pregnancy cravings wild, too! Tell my mom I'm pregnant. Quick. It'll be super funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those fries look delicious. Pittsburgh has similar food leanings, although the lack of fried onions and jalapenos needs to be addressed.

    ReplyDelete