Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Gaining weight faster than my pregnant girlfriend; the library fox begins a revolution


So currently my best friend is like a kazillion months pregnant and we spoke today and it turns out she just weighed in at 117 pounds. ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTEEN POUNDS, PEOPLE.  THIS IS HER GAINING. So yeah...I don't think we're going to be friends anymore. I haven't weighed a hundred and seventeen pounds since I was FIVE. And on top of her teeny tiny-ness, she's all TALL and BEAUTIFUL and crap. I seriously can't handle it. Thank GOODNESS she's carrying my new nephew, or we'd have words.

I just made that up. Not about her weight gain--that's just too unreal to be fiction--but the nephew part. We don't actually 'know' the gender yet. But I'm still going with nephew because I already have two nieces from my sister and it's time to mix this bag up. Plus I'm like a gender savante. Like those old witchwomen that drop newts' organs into teacups and divine your future.

Other tales of back home: remember my super-rad downstairs neighbor of yesteryear? Well, per a  recent conversation with my sweet-sweet old roommate, he's now opened a cafe on Baker and McAllister! Can you BELIEVE it? My favorite handyman-neighbor is now a successful business owner! HOW LONG HAVE I BEEN GONE?! Also the kitty my roommate got after I left turned out to be a Killer Death Kitty and she had to sleep with a spray bottle for self-protection and then he tried to take her vet-dad's eye out and so now he is living in a safe place while they look for a nice farm that NEEDS a Killer Death Kitty, because he is very good at hunting and killing, you just don't want your small dog or child around him. So if you've got a place like that, you let me know.

On related news, I rolled around in a field today. And on a railroad track. But not in a dangerous way, not like I was tying myself down and waiting for rumbling earth or anything, but because there were photos to be taken from down there.

Other ways in which people are making my life more wonderful by the second: Treena Balds (a.k.a. TB, a.k.a. my jamaican honeybun) gave me a link to the raddest online audio library EVER. And do you know WHY it's the raddest online audio library ever? Because the readings are FREE. And why are they free? BECAUSE OF MAGIC. I call this service the Library Fox even though it's LibriVox because once my mind catches a glimpse of something and assigns it a value, that value is fixed. And I don't even bother trying to correct it, because there's really no point once my brain has decided to file something under the label of its choosing. This service will always be Library Fox, and in my mind he will always wear a black eye mask and a  black cape  too and be my little fox bandit. That's just the way it is. Plus Library Fox's byline is 'the acoustical liberation of books in the public domain.' THE ACOUSTICAL LIBERATION OF BOOKS. Does that make anybody else imagine books being freed by the Library Fox from their paper prisons with Jerichoan shouts? Did I just make up the word Jerichoan? According to these red squigglies, I did.

I selected for tomorrow's journey the following from Library Fox's bounty: 

2 B R 0 2 B by Kurt Vonneget, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (and Through the Looking Glass), and a handful of Fitzgerald's short stories. My drive tomorrow is going to be a TRIP. Which is important, because this is the longest leg of my journey yet: Houston to New Orleans. Six hours of hot, stretching highway. Six hours of eyelid-propping, leg-pinching, heat-induced mellifluous madness.

If you don't hear from me by this time tomorrow, just wait longer.

"There's no reality except the one contained within us. That's why so many people live an unreal life. They take images outside them for reality and never allow the world within them to assert itself." --Herman Hesse

10 comments:

  1. I'm dying to know...who's preggers?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure the weather's okay before you head down to New Orleans...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say until I get her permission! But once I land in SF and start doing photo shoots of her tummy, you will SO FIGURE IT OUT.

    Katy, the weather's looking okay right now, though there's some sort of tempest happening a bit to the east?! To which I say, 'BRING IT.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alissa - the Big SisNovember 11, 2009 at 7:35 AM

    Kurt Vonnegut is awesome! Also, regarding assigning things, Jeff calls the http part of web addresses: hot point. Kee hee, weirdo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. dee - you're pregnant? congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Freaking sweet! Railroad tracks and our Jamaican honeybun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude!! I didn't know they had Vonnegut on there!! I'm trudging through Ulysses, made more interesting (and FUN!) by the fact that it seems to be an open reading with all the mistakes and the tripping-over-tongues and the giggling left in.

    Yes, honeybun is in fact my middle name, sweetened with BROWN sugar and baked to perfection...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the plug on my cat's behalf...I'm working on the farm situation, now that my dad has assured me cats don't kill chickens. And congrats mysterious pregnant SF friend, whose identity I totally figured out!

    ReplyDelete