Friday, November 6, 2009

I didn't know it was possible to be so happy.


As briefly mentioned in yesterday's post, I have developed a personal tradition in which I allow myself the purchase of one (1) special Christmas tree ornament each year. I can spend an entire season looking for just the right one--the one that's so wonderfully tacky I take one look at it and think, 'dementia, you are mine.'  The benefits of this little game are multi-fold:

1. I get excited when I see Christmas decorations in the shops. Which--if you aren't typically into a holiday that celebrates by putting plastic, glowing reindeer on one's front lawn--means a lot.
2. I get excited when I see tacky Christmas decorations in shops. Which, you will notice, is most of them.
3. I don't go nuts buying Christmas decorations because I'm limited to one. This is actually a key limit in any shopping venture I take.
4. Each ornament on my final Christmas tree is special. And I DO mean 'special.'
5. My Christmas tree ends up the equivalent of a happy, glittery, insane asylum. Much like the way * I * am during the holiday season.

So you can imagine my thrill when TOY JOY! last night yielded the world's loveliest, most tasteless, most fantastic tree ornament selection I have ever seen under one roof. They had a Sherlock Holmes tree, with pipes and cigars and magnifying glasses, a futuristic tree with freeze ray guns and planets, and an 80's tree covered with dangling converse sneakers and round bulbs filled with neon fiber optics. And these were only one fraction of the wonders. I was tortured by euphoria. And shortly before midnight, after agonizing for nearly two hours, I found the winner.

The ornament I chose is one of the below. Try and guess which one it is! The first person to get it right will also get one because I bought an extra. Oh! And there's one clause to this game: if you win it, it must go on your tree. So 'win' could be a bit of a loose term here...

Oh, and family, you can't win because I already have specific, holiday-related tortures in mind for you. You're welcome.































6 comments:

  1. Wow, how wonderful, delightful and tacky these ornaments are! My favorite is the mushroom. But the sequined tennis shoe, the poodle, the wonderfully colored bird and the fruit turbaned woman are all delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm, I'm gonna go with covered wagon, because you're on a road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, jessica has such a good thought line. i am thinking the longhorn since you are in texas. but then there's the michael jackson shoe, and jesus with rudolph, and the panicked bear, and the poodle who looks like a honey bear (so deep with meaning)...no, i'll stick with the longhorn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to look at jpg numbering as a clue and the carmen miranda is out of order...is that a clue? The numbering also indicates there were at least 151 photographed options. What a night you must have had! I watched survivor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alissa - the Big SisNovember 6, 2009 at 2:55 PM

    I know I can't win but I guess the My Little Pony one because we played with those all the time when we were little!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to have to guess the covered wagon because of the road trip, as well. My runner up is the Angel w/Rudolph(?) up there.

    ReplyDelete