Thursday, November 5, 2009

Gourdough's and TOY JOY!: two reasons to come to Austin. And stay here.



Welcome to Gourdough's, the best donuts in Austin. And I can say that having had NO other donuts in Austin, because just LOOK at this place. I have no words to describe the many forms of greatness present here, so let's just sit in silent reverence:




















* bowing * Thank you, Gourdough's, for making the world a better place.

And now...the best late-night activity in Austin: TOY JOY! It's not actually titled with all caps and an exclamation point, but I really feel TOY JOY! is much more suitable for the wonders of this toy shop. It was chaotically messy--toys crammed into every available space, cascading onto the floors, overflowing the countertops--and while the staff kept apologizing profusely for it, that just made it even better. It was like walking INSIDE of a toy box. It was like your room as a child. It was a WONDERLAND. A wonderland that is open until eleven p.m. EVERY NIGHT. Except for the weekends, when it's open until MIDNIGHT. Oh, yes, my friends. That board game/smurf lunchbox/deck of cards/rubber doll you desperately need at ten p.m. can be YOURS.

We're going back tonight because today's the day they launch their Tinsel Trees and Ornament show and it's going to be BEDAZZLING.  I will definitely be picking out my annual Christmas tree ornament, which is a personal tradition I started in San Francisco in which I allow myself the purchase of one (1) ornament a year that I hand-pick carefully from a local boutique and rate for qualities like 'uniqueness,' 'awesomeness' and 'I-can't-believe-somebody-came-up-with-this-ness.' One year I actually made my own, but I don't like to talk about how that turned out.








Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get ready for my big night out.

5 comments:

  1. the gourdoughs menu is revolutionary. it will be years before i understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dont ya just love airstream (apart from the warping in the heat; taking hours to get stable and straight - to avoid warping obviously; not being able to get them round corners in small towns - without getting out and doing it by remote control.....) love those babies

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alissa - the Big SisNovember 5, 2009 at 1:33 PM

    A donut shop in an Airstream?! Ridiculously cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, one of each please!
    How was the Tinsel Trees and Ornament show? Fantastic I imagine! Just look at that place. It has fun written all over it.

    ReplyDelete